Unable to connect with YUM through proxy server

Vivek J. Patankar vivek.patankar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 21:28:25 UTC 2007

Smith, Christopher wrote:
> All:
> I've tried to every trick in the "book" to get yum to work through the proxy:
> 1. created HTTP_PROXY variables
> 2. Added entries to the /etc/yum.conf file
> But I still get the following error:
> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
> I'm currently within the Win2k3 environment using ISA server as a proxy front end.
> Please help
> Chris

Hi Chris,

	What is the entry that you added in yum.conf? This is what I have in mine.

    proxy=http://10.50.10.55:6588

	HTTP_PROXY variable has never worked for me.

You mention that your proxy is an ISA Server. Is it authenticated?
Getting yum to work with an authenticated proxy is a pain. I personally
have never been able to get it to work with an authenticated MS ISA server.

PS: When posting a fresh topic to the list compose a new mail, don't
reply to a mail you have received from the list. I see that you are
receiving list mail in the digest mode. If you have to quote when
replying to a mail, please snip all the irrelevant & unnecessary bits.

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218