ATI video comes out of the closet

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Sep 6 22:53:17 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen writes:

> So far the nVidia video card on my motherboard has been the one biggest
> head acke in this computer. It is wonderful with Windows I hear but it
> sucks on Linux. Had I known....

… it would not've made much difference. The only thing that happened is that
ATI announced that at some point in the future this is what they will do.

This is certainly good news, but I don't think this is the time to rush out
and buy ATI cards, just yet. Wait until the drivers are out, then weigh your
options. I recall that ATI did the same in the past -- made some vague
promises of varying intensities, which never materialized.

As far as the situation is right now, it's the status quo. If you're
shopping for hardware, make sure to buy a motherboard with the Intel video
chipset. That's still is the way to get accelerated 3D with best support in
Fedora.