Sound in Fedora7 on a VPC2007 virtual machine?

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sat Sep 8 14:40:33 UTC 2007

Bo Berglund wrote:
> As can be seen in my thread concerning successful installation of F7
> in VPC2007 I am still missing sound support.
> It is very strange because if I enter the menu command
> System/Administration/Soundcard detection
> I get to a window where I can test my emulated soundcard (Soundblaster
> 16) and it produces really nice sounds.
>
> But when I go to the menu command
> System/Preferences/Hardware/Sound and enter the Sounds tab where there
> are a number of system sounds to select and test, there is no sound
> when I click the play buttons.
>
> So what is the problem here?
> (Someone suggested to check the Alsa Mixer, but that did not lead
> anywhere).
>

> Bo Berglund

There was a recent thread about a similar problem.  You could search on
gmane.org.

For now, try aplay -lLv to see if alsa is seeing your sound device.

And aplay -Dhw:0,0 some.wav to see if alsa sound is working.

If the above give reasonable information, it is a configuration issue.
Your sound card
is being recognized, the sound just has to be routed correctly.  Because
the sound test
is working, this is likely the case.

If that is true, do a search for .asoundrc with the name of your sound
card or sound chip
for likely solutions.