ATI video comes out of the closet

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 15:52:15 UTC 2007

Dave Ihnat wrote:

>> What are talking about? Is it dificult to install or use Fedora? What's
>> the dificulty, I don't get it. Could you elaborate?
>
> Fedora is an experimental OS.  Things break when new releases come out.
> It shouldn't be used for production.  But it's got all the latest
> coolstuff.  So?  What's the problem?

The problem is that the only way to get current applications which are
evolving rapidly and have the cool stuff you want is to get them bundled
with a wildly experimental kernel and device drivers that will regularly
die underneath them.   I don't see the point of changing the kernel or
drivers in a machine _ever_ once they work correctly except perhaps for
security updates or when adding new hardware.  The semantics of what the
kernel is supposed to be doing was established pretty well 30 years or
so ago.

I realize that fedora isn't the distribution I wish it were, but I think
everyone would be better off it there were a way to have Red Hat style
administration, a stable kernel and device drivers, and up to date apps
all in one distribution.  It isn''t nearly so traumatic to have an
occasional crash or need to restart a single application as it is when
the machine won't boot or you lose access to disk drives containing your
data.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com