ATI video comes out of the closet

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 17:52:23 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Are you sure you're in the right place?
>> Yes, I try to use the right tools for the right jobs and thus need to
>> keep track of what is available and usable.  The right job for fedora
>> seems only to be to try to get some idea of what will be included in the
>> next stable RHEL/Centos versions - which I think is unfortunate.  But,
>> as not entirely unrelated side effect of that, FC3 and FC6 were very
>> stable and usable for a large part of their supported lives - FC6 still
>> is if you ignore a recent but quicky fixed scsi issue.   That makes me
>> believe that that fedora developers understand the issue and are capable
>> of delivering stability when it matches their agenda.  So, I keep hoping
>> they will someday use the same approach all the time.
>>
> Why is that unfortunate?

Because I'd rather be able to re-use the RH-style administrivia I've
been using since RH4.x (the first one, not RHEL...), instead of having
to switch to a distribution with different concepts to get a usable
desktop.  And, I think it would be good for RH to encourage people to
continue using their admin style instead of forcing them to make this
switch.

 > Fedora is more then a test bed for
> RHEL/Centos, because problems found here are passed up the line. So
> things that are found here, and fixed, do not show up in other
> distributions. Somebody has to test new things. That is what Fedora
> is for.

I'm not against experimentation, but if you remember the '60s the
results don't always work out for everyone.  There has to be an
alternative.

> If that is a problem for you, then you are using the wrong
> tool.

Yes, my complaint is that the right tool doesn't exist.  At least not
one based on 'yum update' and 'service xxx restart' administration.

> I don't remember seeing anything that says Fedora will provide
> a stable system. I have seen advice about it not being suitable for
> a production environment. If you insist on using hte wrong tool for
> the job, then problem is not the tool!

I'd be happy to switch.  I have no brand loyalty at all beyond my own
invested time in learning administration - and even that wears pretty
thin when a machine won't boot after an update.  Where is the distro
that has current apps, RH style admin, and usable kernel stability
_with_ security updates.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com