Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 20:11:52 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> The reason for Fedora is to find out what things work. But why must
> Fedora work for everyone?

Who's going to learn how to administer RHEL for their servers if they
use some other distro with a wildly different management style on their
own desktop?

> The lack of support for your position would tend to indicate that
> Fedora is meeting the needs of most of the people here.

I'd categorize it as saying it doesn't meet the needs of most people who
could be using Linux as their desktop machine.  The people 'here' are a
small subset who obviously are more tolerant and willing to put up with
breakage.  Having to resort to mailing lists to get things working at
all or recover after updates isn't something we should consider mainstream.

> We all agree
> that it is not meeting your needs. But why should Fedora have to
> change to meet your needs is the change is not going to be what most
> of the users here want?

They don't 'have' to change, and I'm not demanding any change but
everyone should be realistic about the usefulness of the disto.  If a
goal of fedora is to encourage people to become familiar with RedHat
style system administration (and I think it should be, since this makes
the path to RHEL easier), they are not making a product that a large
audience can use for real work and are thus limiting this exposure.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com