Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Mon Sep 10 18:38:59 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

> Anyone who has deployed fedora on desktops
> in a large enterprise, accepts the updates and has never had problems
> please feel free to jump in and contradict me - I'd love to be proven
> wrong here, but even FC6 recently pushed an update kernel that wouldn't
> boot on some pretty mainstream Dell and IBM machines with scsi controllers.

Seriously Les, I don't know if this qualifies but we support 180 Fedora
desktops in a university and a handful of servers running Fedora. The
rest are primarily RHEL with the odd Solaris box. The hardware has
changed almost every year but the number of machines has remained
stable. I can't recall a kernel update that has caused major breakage
and since the RedHat days we've used FC2, FC4, FC5 and now F7. The only
real PITA with regards to kernel updates is reinstalling the NVIDIA
drivers after a kernel update.

--
Ian Chapman.