Dual-booting F7 and WinXP on separate harddisks

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Sep 11 20:02:41 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 14:21 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> I had what seems the same problem recently. What worked was to
>> add the two map lines, plus a "makeactive" line (whatever that is) :
>>
>> [...]
>> title XPPro
>>        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>>        map (hd0) (hd1)
>>        map (hd1) (hd0)
>>        makeactive
>>        chainloader +1
>
> The makeactive sets that partition as a bootable one.  Some OSs won't
> boot from a partition unless it's flagged as being bootable.
>
> It seems odd, to me, that you've got remapping commands *after* the
> rootnoverify command.

If you put it after the remapping commands, would you have to change
the drive used from hd1,0 to hd0,0, or does GRUB pay any attention
to the remapping commands when executing its own commands? I have
looked in the info pages for GRUB, and I have not found it. I
suspect that the order of the commands does not matter...

Mikkel