Speedtouch ADSL and Fedora 7 issue

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Wed Sep 12 12:22:38 UTC 2007

Today Randy Vice did spake thusly:

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Scott van Looy wrote:
>
>> I have an old PIII that sits under my bed doing an impressive impression of
>> a firewall and router using FC6 and netfilter, I figured, as I've just
>> bought a new laptop, I could use the old one as a slightly more powerful
>> version of the above, complete with inbuilt ups...
>>
>> ...so, I copied all the scripts I use (/etc/ppp;/*, the firmware, all the
>> bits and bobs for the firewall) and installed a fresh copy of F7 on it,
>> restored all the bits I'd copied and then plugged it in.
>>
>> It worked as expected, dialled the connection, got an IP address and
>> connected, I was able to use the net connection for about 15 seconds and
>> then it disconnected, claiming no response to LCP echos
>>
>> Then it refused to reconnect, claiming "LCP: timeout sending
>> Config-Requests"
>>
>> I had to remove and reinsert the USB module to completely restart the
>> subsystem to get it to connect again, and I got exactly the same result
>> over and over.
>>
>> lcp-echo-interval  2
>> lcp-echo-failure   7
>>
>> I tried setting the echo-failure to 20, just to see if it'd hold the
>> connection for the duration, it managed around 30 seconds, then 30 seconds
>> of being unable to reach anything and then timeout and disconnect
>>
>> Does anyone know if there's an issue with Fedora 7 and the speedtouch
>> stuff?
>>
>> I booted up the old box, plugged it all back in and it went back to working
>> fine...
>
> I also experienced connection lost with FC6 and SpeedTouch.  Had to reboot to
> an older kernel and it's working.

Mine works fine in FC6, indeed I'm writing this to you through it... ;)
It's just Fedora 7 it seems to have an issue with. I was wondering if
anyone had found a kernel bug corresponding to it or something

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003