WSJ: Mossberg takes the Linux bait and snarls ....

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 14:54:20 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>>> I agree 100% with one of his beefs.  Laptop touchpad sensitivity.
>> When I'm
>>> typing (and as I touch-type around 50 wpm, the keyboard is really a
>> humming)
>>> often the cursor will jump to where the i-beam for the mouse is;
>> ooops, left
>>> click.  But I didn't touch the touchpad.  Aggravating as all get
>> out.  (And
>>> if someone knows a way to turn that down, please let me know, as
>> I've not run
>>> across the setting yet).
> It seems to me that Mossberg has identified a terrific business
> oportunity. Someone for $50-$100 will configure all the things he feels
> currently are obscure to configure. It only has to be configured once
> and then mass copied.

That's almost the model that I foresee actually working for whatever
unix-like system implements it first.  Make the package manager just a
bit smarter and add a 'publish' button somewhere so a person who had
configured a nicely working system could export his installed package
list and custom configuration settings, and it would result in a URL
that anyone else could click to duplicate that setup slightly more
closely than matching kickstart installs would.   That way someone could
tweak a machine to someone like Mossberg's satisfaction, he could push a
button, and the next day a million people could be running "Mossberg's
recommended Linux".  Or the same for someone who actually knows how to
configure a linux box...

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com