reformat a USB with cd image

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Sep 14 16:54:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 16:12 +1000, Lux Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a USB with a livecd image written on it (using dd if livecd.iso
> of /dev/sdc ). How to revert it to FAT  or  other file system?

Run fdisk on it to create partitions of the appropriate type, then
"mkfs -t whatever" to create the filesystems.  In other words, treat
it like any other hard drive.

NOTE: You only have a limited number of write cycles on a FLASH memory.
Use them wisely!
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-            "You think that's tough?  Try herding cats!"            -