Maybe a deal on flash drives

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 15 13:35:58 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 01:09 +0300, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> Aaron Konstam kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika perjantai, 14.
> syyskuuta 2007):
> > They are selling San Disk 4GB Cruzer Micro U3 USB Flash drive
> > for $54 (~ $60 dollars shipped) SKU AD0631864
>
> I bought exactly that drive for 30 Euros (~41 USD), so you are
> getting ripped off at that price.

I have obviously unleashed a pack of hostility. Let me say:
1. I am not worried that some people can buy this device cheaper.
2. How much would it cost to ship the device to me from a place that one
pays in euros?
3. All of these devices CDs, floppies, etc. have limited life in use.
4. I am frustrated both that floppy drives have disappeared and CD-RWs
cannot be formatted as Windows can do. So to do what these devices can
do flash drives are the only option.
5. I see some possibility of using a 4G flash drive that a 256M flash
drive will not work for.

So I am happy with my flash drive. I also use it in Windows so the U3
(http://www.u3.com) stuff looks very interesting. For example,
installing a Fedora version on a machine without a DVD drive.
If you can buy the same thing cheaper that is great.
Here is the fact of the week, maybe even the fact of the month.
According to probably reliable sources, the Coca-Cola people are
experiencing severe marketing anxiety in China. The words "Coca-Cola"
translate into Chinese as either (depending on the inflection)
"wax-fattened mare" or "bite the wax tadpole". Bite the wax tadpole.
There is a sort of rough justice, is there not? The trouble with this
fact, as lovely as it is, is that it's hard to get a whole column out of
it. I'd like to teach the world to bite a wax tadpole. Coke -- it's the
real wax-fattened mare. Not bad, but broad satiric vistas do not open
up. -- John Carrol, The San Francisco Chronicle
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net