FC6 moto4lin problem

Paul Erickson paule at sfu.ca
Mon Sep 17 00:45:46 UTC 2007

Adalbert Prokop wrote:
> Paul Erickson wrote on Sunday 16 September 2007:
>

>> I have just installed moto4lin to use with my RAZR V3t, but keep
>> getting an unable to connect error.
>>

> ;-) Your name suggests another type of mobile phone. <SCNR>
>

>> When I first launch the application I get:
>>
>> [info] Phone is unpluged. Please connect it
>>

> I have a V220 which works with moto4lin. V3 may behave differently.
>
> The problem is: this phone appears under two different USB IDs. After
> switching from AT to P2K mode the USB-ID changes from 22b8:4902 to
> 22b8:4901. If udev is quicker than moto4lin reacts - all things are fine.
> If it is not, then moto4lin tries to read from the old device file which
> does not exist any more and produces errors. It happens to me very often.
> In this case, simply close moto4lin and restart it. The phone stays in
> P2K mode and you should be able to connect to it now.
>
> Another problem: access rights. I don't know if SElinux causes problems
> here, because I've deactivated it. The device files created for my phone
> are ttyACM* and are not accessible to "normal" users. I had to create an
> udev config file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-motorola.rules with the following
> rules
>
> KERNEL=="ttyACM*", GROUP="users", MODE="0660"
>
> BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="4902", SYSFS{idVendor}=="22b8", RUN \
> += "/bin/chmod 660 $env{DEVNAME}"
> BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="4902", SYSFS{idVendor}=="22b8", RUN \
> += "/bin/chgrp users $env{DEVNAME}"
> BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="4901", SYSFS{idVendor}=="22b8", RUN \
> += "/bin/chmod 660 $env{DEVNAME}"
> BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="4901", SYSFS{idVendor}=="22b8", RUN \
> += "/bin/chgrp users $env{DEVNAME}"
>
> (merge the lines ending with "\" with the following one)
>

>> Also I am attempting to do this as a user, rather than root. I have not
>> tried as root yet.
>>

> You should at least try to run it as root to rule out problem with access
> rights.
>
> The settings I've made in my moto4line are:
>
> ACM Device:     /dev/ttyACM0
> AT Vendor ID:   22b8
> AT Product ID:  4902
> P2K Vendor ID:  22b8
> P2K Product ID: 4901
>
> [ ] Detach kernel driver
> [ ] Auto Connect to device

Thanks very much for the reply. I tried as root, and no joy. I created
the file you mentioned, and now when I start up
the application I get:

[info] Phone pluged as P2K
[info] Phone pluged as AT
Try to connect
[error] Unable to connect

Any other thoughts?

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt at telus.net

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.” - Thomas Mann

"That state which separates it's warriors from it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools" - Thucydides - The Pelopenisia

"The Malice of the wicked is reinforced by the weakness of the virtuous." - Churchill