Setting up a file server for a diskless X-Terminal

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 22:36:44 UTC 2007

Derek Tattersall wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I'd expect much better performance with the ltsp approach (running
>> only X on the client with the desktop and apps on the faster machine)
>> than you would have running the 2nd machine as a workstation with
>> everything mounted via NFS.
>>
> I don't like the looks of K12LTSP. It seems to limit you to running FC5.
> I'd like to set this up with F8 when it comes out.

I don't think you are looking in the right place. Try starting here:
ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/  There's been a release for
about every version of fedora and a couple of Centos's. FC6 is certainly
available.  F7 is still under the testing directory but probably very
usable.

> Oh well. It looks like it is not possible to do what I want to do. At
> least not easily.

I've found it much, much easier to deal with fedora by waiting until the
corresponding k12ltsp release because it is a respin containing all of
the fedora updates up to that point.  However, if you prefer to deal
with all of those bugs yourself, there isn't that much that changes in
the add-on portions other than the ltsp rpm itself.  If you look at the
fc6 or f7 instance and the scripts under /opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux
you'd be able to duplicate it on a new version.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com