LiveCD installer and home folder

Hikaru Amano kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 21:14:06 UTC 2007

On 9/19/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 23:15 +0800, Hikaru Amano wrote:
> > does the harddisk installer from Fedora LiveCDs override the home
> > folder? or is the home folder untouched like the normal Anaconda??
> >
> > I want to upgrade to F8T2 but only have the LiveCD for now ..
> >
> What you say is strange. Since when does Anaconda leave the /home
> directory unchanged. That happens only id you have /home as a separate
> partition and tell the partition program not to change it.
> --

oops , sorry, I forgot to mention that my home folder _is_ on a
different partition. (i have been using separate partition for so long
that i forgot it was not default ^_^ )

the LiveCD's anaconda installation method differs with the normal
anaconda by using the less flexible dd-like copying instead of
file-by-file copying. So I wonder if this dd-like installation method
overrides the home folder or not.

On 9/19/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> I thought that if you did an upgrade, the installer would leave
> /home alone. I am not sure what happens if you do an install but do
> not format the partitions. While that should leave /home alone, I am
> sure it would cause other problems.

with big changes in the core, (like pulseaudio and rsyslog), I prefer
clean installations to avoid future pains.

--
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail
Amano Hikaru