Need help configuring syslogd

Andrew Junev a-j at a-j.ru
Thu Sep 20 18:31:07 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I have several routers and some applications that are capable of
sending their logs to a syslog server. In the past I used to have a
Kiwi Syslog Daemon running on a Windows machine. That time it was
quite easy to configure the daemon to put each node's messages into a
separate log file.
So I had separate files for each router and also separate file for
each application. And these filenames were also depending on the
current date, meaning that each day I got a new file. You may say this
is a wrong approach, but it was quite useful for me in that situation.

Now I'd like to make something similar using Fedora's syslogd. I
started with reading man pages and found that I need '-r' key to
listen to external messages. That's fine. But I can't figure out how
to put these messages to different files depending on the host
(ip-address of the sending machine). And I also don't know how to set
it up to create a new file each day.
Is something like that possible at all?

I'll appreciate any hints.
Thank you!