How to mount a dos floppy ?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 02:26:05 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>
>>>Why not use "gnome-mount -d /dev/fd0"? It can be run by a normal
>>>user, as log as they are the console user. (Logged into the machine
>>>locally.)
>>
>>$ gnome-mount
>>bash: gnome-mount: command not found
>>
>>Is that reason enough?
>>

> This is a Fedora install?

Yes.

Even if it weren't my point stands. All *NIX like systems
have mount/umount.

>>>Then again, if you only want to copy files off the floppies, you can
>>>use mtools.
>>
>>Another set of tools which I'm not particularly familiar with.
>>The tools I use, mount/umount, are found on all *NIX like systems.
>>
>>Since I know how to use a set of tools which are ported nearly
>>everywhere, I prefer not to learn every possible dialect of tool
>>which is not ported.
>>

> True, mount and umount are found, but will you find the *fat or
> msdos file system support? Mount does not help if the system does

Nearly every *NIX like system I've used (and I've used a few[*]) support
the FAT style file system for floppies.

> not support the file system you are trying to mount. I am fairly
> sure mtools is portable across most *NIX systems.

Hmm.  PortABLE, maybe, but not necessarily ported and and
installed by the SysAdmin.

[*] A quick think, and ten came to mind immediately: Mt.Xinu, Xenix,
Apollo's thing (can't remember the name now), HPUX, SunOS, Solaris,
LynxOS, FreeBSD, another I can't remember the name of, and Linux
(several flavors).

Oh, yes, UNIX (SysV).

Of these, Mt.Xinu and UNIX were the only ones which didn't support
FAT file systems on floppies, and that's because when I used them, such
floppies didn't exist, yet.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.