using USB scanner

Michael Klinosky mpk2 at enter.net
Sat Sep 22 21:35:23 UTC 2007

I'm totally new to using a scanner with linux, and it's giving me a
hassle. Btw, this is on F7 (OS stuff is stock), using gnome, Xsane .994,
and an Acerscan 310U.

I fire up Xsane and scan a document - works fine. Then, I try another
scan, the scanner makes a weird noise, and I get an error from Xsane:
Failed to start scanner: error during device I/O.

I have to quit Xsane _and_ toggle the scanner's power to get it to
rescan. Xsane isn't listed in the Config editor.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on?