Double Sided Printing with OpenOffice.org

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Sep 24 02:55:54 UTC 2007

Charles Curley wrote:
> I have a nice new HP 7780 printer, which has the double sided printing
> add-on. The system is Fedora 7 as updated, OOo is
> openoffice.org-core-2.2.0-14.11.i386.
>
> Suppose I have a two page document I want to print double sided. Page
> one should go on side A, 2 on B.
>
> OO does just fine if you print one copy. Print seven and you get
> several sheets with page 1 on both sides. I aborted at that point to
> save paper.
>
> Adobe Reader was a disaster: it pulled from the wrong tray as well as
> bungling the double sided stuff.
>
> Evince did it right: print two copies at a throw (OK, I'm paranoid),
> and page 1 goes to side A consistently, page 2 to B.
>
> I suspect from the fact that Evince did it right that Reader and OOo
> have problems, not the printer driver.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?

I don't know if this will help you or not.  I have a Samsung CLP-510
(color laser printer), which supports duplexing.  The printer came with
an LPR-ng print driver (which CUPS is able to use) which handles
duplexing very nicely.  At a small cost.  If the application is not
LPR-ng aware (in which case it does not contain the proper duplexing
options), a second pop-up box (from LPR-ng) appears, after spooling the
file, from which I can specify the proper duplexing I want.  So far, it
has worked for me on my FC-5 system (and my FC-6 laptop) without any
problems.

Can you try the same?  Is there an LPR-ng driver for your printer that
will work with CUPS?