Yum Update

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Sep 25 00:30:28 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 14:40 -0700, R A Jon Hamelin wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> I have installed F7 on a laptop today and went to update via terminal
> (su -c 'yum update'). I was shocked to see that yum was going to update
> every package available, not just what I had installed. I have never
> come across this before and wonder whether it is a bug. I use this
> method to update my other Fedora boxes and have never noticed this issue
> before. The laptop has a 17 GB hard drive and I want to conserve as much
> space as possible.

It depends on what you were looking at.  At first, yum displays all new
packages that aren't in your database.  Since this is a new install,
your database is empty so you'll see all the updates that are
available.  Don't freak out over that.

Later, it goes through your machine and eventually will display a table
with the word "Updating:".  THOSE are what's going to be updated, not
the first set of packages you saw.  That was just yum updating its
database.  yum can be chatty!

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-    First Law of Work:                                              -
-    If you can't get it done in the first 24 hours, work nights.    -