Wireless Access Point

Dan ml at mutox.org
Tue Sep 25 08:31:28 UTC 2007

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>    Is it possible, using 1 device, to have two separate networks to
> connect to?  We're trying to setup a network where a client can come
> in, connect to an open network and see a network drive to copy files
> into.  However, that network will only allow them to do that, nothing
> else - they can't get onto the internet, they can't get onto the rest
> of the network or anything else.
>
>    At the same time, we want out employees to be able to connect, and
> by providing a password they CAN get to everything and have outside
> access to the internet.
>
>    Is this possible with just a single wireless access point, or do I
> need to setup two different ones?  Using a Linksys WAP54G device.

Some access points support multiple ssid, and you can go further, and
physically isolate traffic for each ssid into its own 802.1q vlan. I
know access points from Cisco do this. Also, I own a dlink which is
capable of this, but is buggy. No idea of the WAP54G supports this.
Typically you also need a managed switch to accomplish this, so it can
get pricey.