Recos for ADSL2+ NICs?

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Thu Sep 27 00:35:35 UTC 2007

Anyone have recommendations for a PCI (3.3V) ADSL2+ NIC that is well
supported on Linux, can do RFC-1481 bridging/routing, and is confirmed
to work with Verizon residential DSL?

I've been using a Westell 6100, but their NAT and Firewall
implementations are crap, the box is unreliable, and it's hard to debug.

Plus you can't do static NAT mappings for port-forwarding of individual
services to particular NAT'd hosts...

And their support is a nightmare.  Verizon points fingers at Westell,
and Westell says, "Don't look at us: it's an OEM roduct specifically for
Verizon.  They support it directly themselves [yeah, right]."

So "rolling my own" CPE seems to be the only viable solution.  I *know*
I can do better with ipchains...

-Philip