X window system slow

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Sep 27 04:15:43 UTC 2007

bob.smith at kolumbus.fi wrote:
> Hello all, What could be the reason for slow startup of the X window
> system?
> I have came across this situation a couple of times. X is slow in all
> respects. Starting applications within X is slow, and starting the
> window system itself is slow. Where should I start looking for solutions?
> Thank you very much.
First check that your host name is listed in /etc/hosts, or is
resolvable through a name server. Even though most people don't
think about it, X is a network application, and can suffer DNS
timout delays.

If that is not the problem, then look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for
error messages. There may also be something in /var/log/messages.

Mikkel