Moving F7

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Sep 27 14:46:11 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm not certain about this, but I don't think you are right.
> You are certainly wrong about the kernel,
> which just comes with the kernel RPM.
> But I think you are also wrong about initrd too -
> that comes with the kernel RPM too, IIRC.
> I don't think when a new kernel is installed mkinitrd is run.

No, the initrd is generated as part of the kernel install scripts.
It does not come with the kernel. This is because it has to match
the hardware on your system. The initrd file on my laptop with a
SATA drive is different from the one for my server with SCSI drives
witch is different from the desktop with PATA drives witch is
different from the one on my bootable USB drive. They are all
created by mkinitrd when you install the kernel. Otherwise the
initrd file would have to contain all the modules for disk access,
or they would have to be built into the kernel.

You can verify this by looking at the install scripts in the kernel
package. You can also check the dates on the kernel, and on the
initrd image file. The kernel date/time will be earlier then the
time/date on the initrd image. You can also run "rpm -Vv <kernel
rpm> | grep /boot" - it will not try to verify the initrd file. You
can run it without piping through the grep command, but then it list
all the modules that come with the kernel too.

Mikkel