about hardware information

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Sep 27 19:44:39 UTC 2007

Kam Leo wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Aldo Foot <lunixer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The only CD I ever use is the boot cd, I've never used an actual DVD to
>> install.
>>
>> ~Aldo.
>
> Works when you have the networking bandwidth, i.e. high download quota
> (10s of GB per month) and speed megabits vs. Hz.

If you are installing a single system, it should not make a
difference in the download quote, and may even help, because you
will not be downloading packages you are not going to install, as
you most likely would if you downloaded the DVD and installed from
that. On the other hand, if you have more then one Linux box, you
should consider having one host the DVD image, and a local repo with
the updates, and install from the local network. I have not measured
it, but it feels like a network install from a local server is
faster then a DVD install. Things like network speed, and server
load, or DVD drive speed would have an effect on the install speed.

The fastest, if you are deploying several identical machines, would
be to do a full install on the first one, and then clone the drive.
There is some interesting software to let you clone over the network...

Mikkel