Hard Drive data rates

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Sep 29 12:27:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 16:58 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> it appears that a SATA is just a tiny bit faster than a new IDE

I wouldn't expect too radical differences, especially if you're not
using newer hardware for the whole computer.  There are other,
non-speed, advantages.  But I'd tend to take the point of view that
things are moving away from IDE to SATA, and just concentrate on buying
the hardware that goes together.  My current computers use IDE, so if I
buy another internal drive for them, it'll probably be an IDE, since I
don't want to add another card (a SATA interface).  The next drive I'll
buy will really depend on what the computer is like that it goes into.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.5-76.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.