[Fedora] [PHP] Installation of pear

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Sep 29 16:06:44 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 11:03 +0800, edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:
> Remi Collet wrote:
> > Craig White a 嶰rit :
> >

> > > you simply get a command line as root...
> > >
> > > # pear install Auth_SASL Structures_Graph HTTP_Request Log Net_SMTP
> > > # pear upgrade-all
> > >

> > Rather use
> >
> > yum install php-pear-Auth-SASL \
> >    php-pear-HTTP-Request \
> >    php-pear-Log \
> >    php-pear-Net-SMTP
> >
> > I think "pear install" breaks system coherency
> >
> > Using RPM also allow to have PHP apps in the repository.
> >
> > Remi.
> >

> Hello,
>
> Do you means the operation steps is better for FC System ?
----
I don't know the extent of the php-pear-* packages but I think that Remi
is suggesting that most of the pear packages that horde/imp/etc. would
use are already packaged in Fedora (surprising).

Therefore, it may not be the best idea to do a 'pear install ANYTHING'
or 'pear upgrade-all' because that may pull in pear packages that get
clobbered when you do something like a 'yum update'

Personally, if I am going to the trouble of setting up a server that is
to be running Horde/IMP, I doubt I am going to use Fedora because the
life cycle of Fedora is too short...but don't let me discourage you.

Craig