preemtible Kernel

Frode Petersen fropeter at online.no
Sat Sep 29 22:12:57 UTC 2007

Boris Glawe wrote:
> Fernando Apesteguía schrieb:
>> Non preemptible kernels are suited for servers
>> Voluntary preempt. kernels for desktops
>> Full preempt kernels for low latency desktops.
>
> Would it be worth to recompile the kernel with "preemptible kernel"
> enabled, as I'm using my linux installation on  a desktop machine? Or is
> the gain only measurable but not noticeable?

If you use your computer for music production, you might run into
problems with audible clicks in the sound if you don't use a real time
kernel, limiting i.e. the number of tracks you can record or play back
at the same time. There are other factors as well, so depending on HOW
you make music you might not need full preemtion. Other people know more
about the practical ramifications than I do, though.

If you'd like to make music on your Fedora system, check out the
PlanetCCRMA website, which also have customized kernels and so on.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

There might be other areas with similar needs, but most of them are
probably not of very mainstream use(?).

Frode