symbolic links, dosemu and /etc/skel

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Sep 29 22:59:11 UTC 2007

I have had this happen before, but just now figured out exactly what's going on.

I still don't know why.

I create a user and run dosemu, then go into ~/.dosemu/drive_c and make a
symbolic link to another directory:  ln -s /opt/data/test .

Now I have a link in ~/.dosemu/drive_c that goes to /opt/data/test and if I
load dosemu and type "cd test" it takes me to /opt/data/test just like it
should.

I use that user's home directory to create a /etc/skel directory for creating
new users home directories from.

When I create a new user with that /etc/skel in place, I have a link
to /opt/data/test in ~/.dosemu/drive_c just like I should.

But:

dosemu doesn't see it.

In  the dosemu window, I type "dir" and cant' see TEST listed at all.  "cd
test" doesn't work.

Removing ~/.dosemu from the new user's directory and running dosemu and adding
the link works as expected.

The short form of the story is that I can't have a symbolic link in
~/.dosemu/drive_c as part of an /etc/skel profile and have it actually work.

Everything else in/etc/skel works as expected.

What could be going on here?