ups with nut and hal

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Apr 1 10:26:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 00:13:33 +0000,
  "Amadeus W.M." <amadeus84 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have nut with hal working for a ups connected to a usb port?
>
> I'm trying to get mine to work, and the docs say gnome-power-manager
> should pop-up and let me see and do things, but nothing happened.
>
> lsusb sees the ups on a usb port, but that's all I can say. I believe no
> driver is being loaded for the ups, so probably hal (or maybe udev) is
> not doing what should be doing. I'll be happy to provide any necessary
> information to figure this out. I'd appreciate any clue from anyone who
> has this thing working under hal.

I have a ups with a usb connection and am using nut to monitor it. I haven't
tested that it shuts down properly since rawhide switched to upstart, but
it did work previously.

I don't use gnome-power-manager though. I hand edited the config files
and use the 'ups' service to watch it. usbhid-ups is the driver for
most usb ups's in rawhide. Before that it was newhidups.