Changing default source for PulseAudio: recording from a mic

Marco Monteiro masm at acm.org
Thu Apr 3 09:07:21 UTC 2008

I run Fedora 8. I have a SoundBlaster Live. I would like to record from
the microphone, but the system is not configured to allow that by
default. It seems to be recording with some kind of loopback device,
because "arecord" with no arguments catches whatever is comming from the
speakers, though at a much lower sound volume.

"arecord -l" returns

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Live [SBLive! Platinum [CT4760P]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC
Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Live [SBLive! Platinum [CT4760P]], device 1: emu10k1 mic [Mic
Capture]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Live [SBLive! Platinum [CT4760P]], device 2: emu10k1 efx
[Multichannel Capture/PT Playback]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Weirdly, "arecord -D plughw:0,1" also does not record from the mic. But
"arecord -D plughw:0,2" does work. When recording with arecord I get
several "overrun!!! (at least 0.024 ms long)". I don't know why this
happens, and after a week fighting this, I don't care. I just want to
record sound from the microphone with some other program. To achive that
I tried dozens of things, like to add this to /etc/pulse/default.pa:

add-autoload-source my_input module-alsa-source device=plughw:0,2 \
     source_name=my_input
set-default-source my_input

I get nothing from the microphone. This does not work. My question is:
what can I do to record with an application that does not allow for the
"-D plughw:0,2" thingy? What is the proper PulseAudio incantation to set
the mic device to be the default?

Thank you.

Marco