Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down in flames

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 04:00:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 19:12 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > cp/m had all kinda sort and list commands. I'm just not sure which would
> > have been better, to be under the evil domination of Digital or
> > Microsoft. <grins> cp/m ][ was pretty nice, though. It did pretty much
> > whatever I wanted it to do. Ric
>
> Hey, be nice!  First off, remember Gary Kildall's company was Digital
> Research, Inc.--NOT Digital Equipment Corp. (at the time chaired by
> Ken Olson).
>
> I worked for DRI on CP/M and MP/M.  There were some nomenclature and UI
> similarities between DEC's RT-11 or RSTS and CP/M, but they were NOT the
> same company--not by a long shot.  They were even on different coasts!
>
> IBM went with Microsoft because they arrived for a meeting with Gary,
> but he was out flying his airplane and missed it.  IBM got ticked off
> and called Microsoft.  We've never been sure if IBM was a day early
> (as Gary always claimed) or Gary screwed up his calendar.  Either one is
> as likely as the other (IBM can be petulant and Gary could be very
> scatterbrained at times).

I bought just about every Televideo model made from Gov. Surplus. God, I
forget the monster they built that served the 8 bit machines running
cp/m and the 16 bit machines running cp/m86, but it ran MP/M and could
handle either client. Pretty slick!! Televideo, when the old man ran the
company made some very nice handling machines. Excellent keyboards. Nice
nice stuff! I had a collection of a pile of cp/m machines, Altos,
Televideo, Kaypro, an original ozzie, 3 Imsai machines, plus quite a few
I had never heard of before. Got 'em for $10 apiece at Gov Surplus, just
to play with. Remember Irv Hoff?? I talked to him on the phone a few
weeks before he died of cancer. His contributions to the modem world
were priceless. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar