kdenlive on fedora? (best video editor missing from fedora)

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Mon Apr 7 12:13:47 UTC 2008

On Mon April 7 2008, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Hi,
> is anybody using kdenlive on fedora? And if you are how did you
> install it? From which repository or how did you compile it?
> I heard in tlts podcast [1] that it is the best video editor
> (interview with Dan Sawyer who is a Linux writer and does professional
> video production). Please listen to this podcast if you are looking
> into video editing on linux because there is ton of information and
> comparison between all video editor for linux desktop.

The BLAG developer (Fedora derived distro) made similar claims a year and a
half ago or so, and compiled it for BLAG, which meant you could install it in
a similar versioned Fedora. I wasn't very impressed with it, and I do editing
for a living. I tried to load every video file I have on my machine and it
kept giving me errors saying the formats were incompatible. The layout seemed
nice enough, and I finally got it to work on some clips, but, I don't see the
excitement. It did the things it could do well, but it was lacking in many
basic features. I think the BLAG developer reached the same conclusion
because he seemed to cease supporting it after awhile - maybe it was a
dependency issue, but, I never heard much more about it from that quarter,
and I just checked his repo and didn't see it.

Cinelerra is the most capable of the editors I've tried, and I've tried them
all, but, it has many quirks and bugs, and features that don't work, and it
has a steep learning curve, but there are many guerilla producers around the
world regularly using it to make everything from home video to indie films.
Cinelerra can be installed from freshrpms...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA