No more kmod-nvidia for kernel 2.6.24.4-64.fc8

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 17:52:41 UTC 2008

2008/4/3 Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>:
> After Installating the most recent updates dated of april 03 2008
> (containing kernel 2.6.24.4-64.fc8) and rebooting, I removed the old kernel
> 2.6.24.3-50.fc8. Withing this removing process I saw that all nvidia
> packages belonging the removed kernel were removed too.
>
>  The I tried an "yum install kmod-nvidia", but this was rejected:
>

>  Error: Missing Dependency: kernel-x86_64 = 2.6.24.3-50.fc8 is needed by
> package kmod-nvidia-2.6.24.3-50.fc8
>
>  Remarks?

Because of the delay, I decided to take the plunge and remove the
livna nvidia support and install dkms-2.0.17.5-1.fc8 and  the
Freshmeat packaging of the Nvidia driver: nvidia-x11-drv-169.12-1.fc8.
 The difference here is that you don't install an nvidia-kernel
package (no "kmod-nvidia" or such).  It builds it for you when you
need it.

So far, so good!  At start time, the dkms service scans for a new
kernel and it does build a module if needed.  I'm a little worried
because I don't feel as "in control" of the kernel & modules as I was
before, but until it breaks, I'm trying to trust it.  Unlike most
things, it worked properly for me on the first try with no fuss, no
customization, no conf file, no problem.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science