kdenlive on fedora? (best video editor missing from fedora)

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 10:22:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Claude Jones <cjones at levitjames.com> wrote:
>  > On Monday April 7 2008 3:10:15 pm Valent Turkovic wrote:
>  >  > I would understand that kind of comment from somebody who
>  >  > doesn't use and video tools - as you suggested a BLAG
>  >  > maintener. But when I heat it from Dan Sawyer who is a Linux
>  >  > writer and does professional video production then that is
>  >  > completely different story. He did claim that you need to
>  >  > compile kdenlive from source in order to make new features
>  >  > work because in older releases you couldn't even separate
>  >  > audio from video. Also video framework MLT that kdenlive uses
>  >  > has gone through mayor changes in past few months.
>  >  > BLAG linux is over year old and stuck at fedora 7 release so I
>  >  > wouldn't give them a look if they don't plan to update to F9.
>  >  >
>  >  > So I would love to try for myself and see how kdenlive looks
>  >  > and works. If a linux video professional says that kdenlive is
>  >  > great I guess he knows what he is taking about because he is
>  >  > putting his money where his mouth is and using it in
>  >  > production.
>  >  >
>  >  > I have been to cinelerra workshop and love it! But I would
>  >  > also try other tools if somebody packages it for fedora.
>  >
>  >  You're making many claims. Do you know Jeff Moe? BLAG
>  >  deliberately stays behind Fedora by a version for solid reasons.
>  >  It tries to be a slighly 'late' Fedora that just works, and it
>  >  features compiled versions of many A/V programs that aren't
>  >  available elsewhere - that's changing now, but, they were in
>  >  front of the curve in many areas for awhile.
>  >
>  >  I don't know Dan Sawyer so I can't speak to him, but there are
>  >  many Linux video writers and many claiming to do 'professional
>  >  video production' -- if he claims he's doing professional video
>  >  on Kdenlive, I would like to see that, but until I do...
>  >
>  >  If you're keen to try kdenlive, why don't you package it
>  >  yourself? There are some very straightforward instructions here:
>  >  http://tinyurl.com/5psknr
>  >  see the table of contents at the bottom

I have Mint Linux (Ubuntu) also installed so I tried there and I got
Kdenlive to compile but it crashes on every command I tried. It
imports files but it crashes if I try to do anything with them :(
I don't understand how Dan Sawyer could claim that it is rock solid :(
But still it could be my error in compiling some part and it still
would be great to see kdenlive as a package in rpmfusion
repositories...
I'll drop them a note.

Cheers,
Valent.