long pause before GRUB appears on ASUS G2S-B2

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 8 10:51:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 10:24 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> I have an ASUS G2S-B2 laptop dual booting Fedora 8 and Vista.
> When I start the computer, after the BIOS messages, the screen goes
> black with the exception of a single blinking dash in the upper left
> of the screen; after 20-30 seconds, the GRUB menu appears normally.
> Any suggestions for what's causing the pregnant pause?

That sounds rather like it's looking for other drives (e.g. you've got
multiple ports, it's waiting for responses from all them, for whether
they've got a drive or not), or taking a while to find the first drive
(does your drive take a while to spin up?).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.