Punch cards

James Kaufman jmk at kaufman.eden-prairie.mn.us
Thu Apr 10 20:05:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:05:50AM -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 13:21 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > Aaron Konstam:
> > > Well Tim you may be pushing your luck on being right.
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > > I have heard noting about pushing the digital switch to 2013. As far
> > > as I know in the US it is still 2009. Do you have a reference for this
> > > assertion you are making.
> >
> > I first heard about on the radio, but forgot the all-important reference
> > to where this announcement came from.  A quick Google search gives the
> > following information:
> >
> >   "at the Australian Broadcasting Summit, Senator Conroy announced the
> >   switchover date for Australian free-to-air TV: December 31, 2013."
> >
> Well int the US it is still 2009. The US govenment have sent people up
> to 2 $40 coupons so the boxes can be bought for peanuts or $20 whichever
> is less.
> --

There is a provision for cable companies to continue providing analog signals.
I hope Comcast does. I just called a customer service rep who told me they
would continue to provide analog.

"Cable companies were authorized by the FCC in late 2007 to continue their
analog feed service for another 5 years (up to 2012) if they prefer, but they
are not obliged to do so."

That might be where the idea of 2012 came from.

What does this have to do with punch cards? :-)

--
Jim Kaufman
Linux Evangelist