Work Space Switcher - feature, howto ??

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 17:12:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 12:24 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi Patrick;

Hi Bill :-)

> On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 10:57 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 10:53 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > > Hi;
> > >
> > > Just a thought.  I would like to setup my workspace switcher so that
> > > when I switch work spaces it will show different wallpaper on my
> > > desktop.
> >
> > KDE does this. Are you using Gnome? You don't say.
>
> Yes I am using Gnome.  Sorry, I should have said so.
> Ah, so there is a way in, so to speak.  I will look at what KDE does.
>

> > > Also, if possible, I would like to attach my launcher icons on
> > > my desktop (not on the panels) to a specific workspace so that when
> > > switch work spaces a new set of launchers appropriate to that work space
> > > are shown.
> >
> > KDE 3 doesn't seem to do this OOB. KDE 4 might.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Right now I am logging in to two different users for one person (myself)
> depending on what kind of work I am doing.  It would be neater and
> faster if I could setup work spaces that reflected the major task I am
> working on or playing in.

I use 6 workspaces, rather arbitrarily called Basic, Web, Incoming,
Office, Mail and Misc. I tend to do one kind of thing on one workspace,
but I have a fixed set of icons in the KDE panel (Evolution, Firefox,
Pidgin, etc.) because I don't usually need to execute them more than
once and just keep them running. I used to have different wallpapers as
well but couldn't be bothered after a while. One finds that eye-candy
gets old fairly quickly, which is why I stay away from Compiz. KDE can
automagically start up each application on the appropriate desktop when
you log in. You just set it up once and select Save Session from the KDE
menu (no doubt Gnome can also do all of this; I don't want to start a
religious war).

Cheers

poc