gnome-terminal (and other gnome apps) fail to start, but used to

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sun Apr 13 14:41:27 UTC 2008

I have just rebooted my machine (trying to diagnose something else)
and now I'm finding that gnome-terminal sometimes fails to start.

In fact after starting two or three gnome-terminals no more will
start.  I run fvwm2 with a collection of 5 or so gnome-terminals that
are automatically started, it comes up with two or three and then
won't run any more.

Running "gnome-terminal" from the command line just hangs, no
diagnostics, nothing.  Similarly for gnome-panel.  Other terminals
(xterm etc.) run OK.

I've not changed anything on the system for quite a while, no updates
or anything.  I've tried removing and re-installing gnome-terminal, no
help.

So, where should I be looking for a cause, how can I diagnose it?

--
Chris Green