Samba won't dance

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Mon Apr 14 14:43:53 UTC 2008

On Mon April 14 2008, Alan Cox wrote:
>  Error connecting to 8.15.7.117 (Connection refused)at
>
> So the windows box refused the connection. That means the problem is
> almost certainly on the windows side - firewall etc. Do the addresses
> reported match the actual IP addresses of the machine ?

No, I guess I wasn't clear. That's an internet address. I'm talking about
trying to connect to other machines on my lan which is a 192.168.2.xxx
network. When I ran those smbclient commands, it went out to the net for some
reason -- what I don't understand is that if I run the utility smbk4, it does
find my studiopc and julimobile machines on my lan, and at least in the case
of the latter, resolves the correct internal lan address.

It's another piece of the puzzle - two XP machines, which are upstairs and
connected to a wireless hub which connects to my wireless router down in the
basement; one machine is seen by smbk4 but no shares are visible; the other
is seen by smbk4 and it resolves an address and can see the shares, but,
fails when it tries to mount them. The two boxes are similarly configured -
from my Vista laptop, also downstairs connected to my wireless router, I can
browse either of those machines, and browse all shares - though, the Vista
capability comes and goes (I state that as a clue, not a subject, and as I
said in the earlier post, I suspect Vista networking for the coming and
going - maybe masterbrowser contention or something).

--
Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc.