Samba won't dance (more info)

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Tue Apr 15 17:49:03 UTC 2008

On Tue April 15 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Claude, I've been watching this thread because I've wrestled with samba so
> often and been told that there is no problem, it must be me :-)  Here's my
> suggestion.  Delete these lines from the Fedora version:
>
>         ldap ssl = No
>         restrict anonymous = no
>         wins support = true
>         max protocol = NT
>         default service = global
>         acl compatibility =
>         server signing = Auto
>
> You don't need them, and on one installation at least I remember that the
> last line there was the cause of my problems.
>
> Copy the contents of /etc/hosts into /etc/samba/lmhosts, re-start samba,
> leave it a while, then try again.
>
> FWIW, a while back I had a thread on the CentOS list about being unable to
> get user mode working, and I found, as you did, that even after re-starting
> samba it still didn't work - but then did a while later.  I've never heard
> a convincing argument as to why that should be so.  HTH

Hi Anne: I'd noticed you'd returned. I was afraid I ticked you off with
my 'tin snips' crack (another thread). I do remember your previous travails
with Samba. I'll keep this suggestion, but, until I figure out the mount
problem, I think I need to put my limited time resources there - that's
affecting other tasks as well - I needed Samba to print out my tax forms,
but, that need ends today as today is tax day in the U.S. If you poke your
head out the window in the direction of the big pond to the West, you might
be able to hear the collective groan of millions of Americans struggling with
their last minute computations (here in the U.S. around 1/3 of the taxpayers
wait until deadline day to file).

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA