Hosed Grub with the push of a button

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 03:15:58 UTC 2008

max wrote:
>> Jim Webb wrote:

>>> Max,
>>> I looked this up on Red Hat's KBase:
>>>
>>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/RHEL510/Installation_Guide/s2-rescuemode-boot-reinstall-bootloader.html
>>>

>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Jim
>>>

>> Thanks for the link but i had tried that and it didn't work. The
>> following explains why but I don't see an easy way to do it, i'll do
>> it the hard way , its the only option left, I need some help on best
>> method or whether its even possible.
>>

>>  From rescue cd, l let me outline what i see like a terminal :
>>
>> sh-3.2# chroot /mnt/sysimage
>> sh-3.2# cd boot
>> sh-3.2#ls
>> boot    grub (there shouldn't another boot directory should there?Also
>> no config files, no initrd, no system map,no vmlinuz, will
>> copying          from another f8 be good enough to restore these, i
>> would guess yes but I am getting hungry so i'll deal with that first,
>> i          should have noticed these missing yesterday but it was late
>> etc....rest of this probably doesn't matter but for
>> the                     sake  of thoroughness i'll go through
>> everything anyway)
>>
>> sh-3.2#cd grub
>> sh-3.2#ls
>> device.map        ffs_stage1_5        reiserfs_stage1_5
>> vstafs_stage1_5
>> device.map.backup  iso9660_stage1_5    stage1
>> xfs_stage1_5   e2fs_stage1_5        jfs_stage1_5
>> stage2               fat_stage1_5        minix_stage1_5
>> ufs2_stage1_5
>>
>> I notice as I type this that menu.lst, menu.lst.backup, and
>> splash.xpm.gz are all missing, i'm not quite sure how to regenerate
>> them, I could copy them from my other box but menu.lst won't be
>> identical.....i'll have to think about that one but without missing
>> files in boot what does it matter?Missing files would explain why grub
>> says it can't find stage1, presumably it needs the missing files in
>> /boot to locate stage1
>>
>> If you remember I noticed another boot directory inside /boot
>>
>> sh-3.2#cd /
>> sh-3.2#cd boot
>> sh-3.2#ls
>> boot     grub
>> sh-3.2#cd boot
>> sh-3.2#ls
>> grub
>>
>> sh-3.2#cd grub
>> sh-3.2#ls
>>
>> device.map        ffs_stage1_5        reiserfs_stage1_5
>> vstafs_stage1_5
>>                   iso9660_stage1_5    stage1
>> xfs_stage1_5   e2fs_stage1_5        jfs_stage1_5
>> stage2               fat_stage1_5        minix_stage1_5
>> ufs2_stage1_5
>>

>> It is the same as the contents of the other grub directory minus the
>> device.map.backup. I don't think this directory should exist at all
>> but it may have been created by my earlier attempts to fix grub. While
> [...]

I finally wised up and ran fdsik -l ( it aint pretty):

sh-3.2#fdisk -l

Device    	Boot			Start		End		Blocks		Id	System
/dev/sda1 	*			30076	     30401	   2618563         c	W95 FAT32(LBA)
/dev/sda2				    26		30401	      243995220	    8e   Linux LVM

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

I really could use a few pointers here as I am not sure that its even
possible to recover at this point. I wish I'd have thought to run this
command sooner, course i'd not have learned some of the handy info I've
picked up since I touched off this mess so I guess I've broken even, not
bad but I'd still like to think I could come out ahead on this one or
should I just backup and install/upgrade to Sulphur.

Max