Increasing font rendering

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 11:38:03 UTC 2008

Paul Smith wrote:
> Thanks to all who answered! The problem was apparently related to
> 'sub-pixel hinting'; with this option disabled, everything looks fine,
> even without freetype-freeworld installed. That is strange that my
> monitor, being a LCD one, renders the fonts better with 'sub-pixel
> hinting' set off.

This can be an indication that you're using the wrong subpixel order for
your screen.  Different LCDs have the 3 basic colours in different
orders.  If you use the wrong hinting for the order you have on your
screen things will look worse rather than better.

I can't remember offhand where this is set, but there will be an option
to change it.

Simon.