Three out of Four Isn't Bad

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 18:31:28 UTC 2008

Néstor wrote:
> I have a situation where I have 36 Gigs of ram on a machine and I could only
> see 4 Gigs
> then I installed the PAE kernel and I can only see 24 Gigs.  I have a ticket
> opened with
> Red Hat to see what they recommend.
>
> :-)

If that is a 64-bit capable machine, you should run 64-bit on it, you can run
32-bit userspace stuff, but if you run a 32-bit os with that kind of ram you run
into all sorts of issues with the machine running out of the 800-900MB of lowmem
and this causes fatal issues even those massive amounts of highmem are
available.   You will have enough issues with 32-bit and lots of ram to make it
worth considering the 64-bit stuff.

                               Roger