What the H!!! is going on with Yum

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora at slated.org
Thu Apr 17 20:28:44 UTC 2008

Verily I say unto thee, that Jim spake thusly:

> I wanted to remove and reinstall Alsa-*

Uninstalling and reinstalling software rarely fixes problems, at least
not on real operating systems like Linux. That's a Windows trait.

Better by far to examine your configuration files for errors
(~/.asoundrc /etc/alsa/alsa.conf /etc/modprobe.conf) and/or run
system-config-soundcard and/or gnome-sound-properties.

If an installed package really *has* become corrupted somehow, you can
determine that without uninstalling it, thus:

rpm -Vv alsa-lib

An explanation of the results is in "man rpm" In the "VERIFY OPTIONS"
section. Generally speaking, if you see nothing but dots "." in the
first column, then there's no problem.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8
`----

 21:28:13 up 118 days, 18:04,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.01