Samsung printer woes

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 15:51:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 4:39 AM, Da Rock <rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au> wrote:
> Right now I'm going to have rant:
>
>  I'm seriously pissed off at this SELinux. As near as I can see it does
>  bugger all, but when it stuffs up or gets in the way it does a right
>  royal job of it!
>
>  Now that thats out of the way, I installed the drivers and software
>  nicely supplied by Samsung (unified linux drivers for mfp) which can
>  only be installed by root. Root can't print- and is stopped by SELinux,
>  and users can't print because the cups setup is root. Shouldn't this be
>  simpler? Any thoughts on what I can do here?

SELinux could be getting in the way due to Samsung doing very, very
bad things with their driver installation. So the "bugger all" that it
is doing by blocking this driver is likely saving your box from being
cracked wide open for a number of exploit paths. Without some specific
audit logs, we will never know.

Has anyone confirmed this story from last year:
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Samsung_Linux_printer_driver_modifies_the_permissions_of_many_executables

/Mike