F8 update kills KDE

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 02:19:10 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 12:00 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 11:39 -0430, Patrick
> > O'Callaghan wrote:
> > but I tried KDE on Fedora
> > It appears that is still
> > not vocal enough...

> > (which should be fixed
> > >
> > > It's true to the extent that many people
> > (including RedHat people)
> > > assume one is using Gnome, and most or all of the
> > documentation also
> > > makes this assumption, especially when explaining
> > how to do stuff from
> > > the GUI. It's fair to say that Fedora is a
> > Gnome-centred distro that
> > > *also* supports KDE.
> > +1 for KDE!!! Ric
> >
> I hate to disagree with you guys on this one.  KDE is
> also given equal treatment in my own humble opinion.
> Fedora is so committed to getting working that KDE
> 4.0.3 is on Rawhide and while things might not be
> trouble free in KDE, it is somewhat looking good.

In no way did I want to:

a) Say anything at all about KDE 4, because I've only tried it briefly
on a Live CD.

b) Start a discussion about the technical merits of KDE vs Gnome.

If that's what you think my comment was about, I'm afraid you missed the
point. I stand by what I said already. This is not a technical argument,
it's about the orientation of both the Fedora docs (official and
unofficial) and a fair amount of the traffic on this list. Unless the
topic is specifically about some KDE issue, the underlying assumption is
that one is using Gnome. In other words, Fedora is a Gnome-oriented
distro that also supports KDE.

poc