F8 update kills KDE

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Apr 20 06:01:51 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 01:40 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 21:05 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > --- Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >If KDE4 isn't ready yet for prime-time, why
> > > release it??
> >
> > Because the only way that the software becomes better
> > is if we test it and report bugs so that they get
> > fixed and in the end we will all win.  I guess the
> > Fedora philosophy answers this question right away.
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview
> >
> > <quote>
> > What is Fedora? Fedora is a Linux-based operating
> > system that showcases the latest in free and open
> > source software. Fedora is always free for anyone to
> > use, modify, and distribute. It is built by people
> > across the globe who work together as a community: the
> > Fedora Project. The Fedora Project is open and anyone
> > is welcome to join. The Fedora Project is out front
> > for you, leading the advancement of free, open
> > software and content.
> > </quote>
>
> Good Lord, Antonio, I could have quoted that one by heart. So, I know
> the deal, but if it is so crippled that it fails, releasing it on us
> might not be a great experience. We do expect ~most~ things to work, in
> Beta Fashion, but not as in Alpha fashion. Since I have not tried it, I
> can't say from my experience, but others are plainly very unhappy, so
> that makes me a tad nervous. Iron out the major stuff, then release.
> IMHO. Ric
----
Ric - you're missing a big point in order to make your own point.

yes, if it's not going to work, there's no reason to go forward with it.

But you're talking about a major version change of KDE and if Fedora 9
were to release with KDE 3.5.5 it would be Fedora 10 before we see KDE
4.

What Kevin made clear is that they are all over trying to fix things to
make it as functional as possible on first release and see a lot more
updates on the horizon which will be released as soon as possible during
Fedora 9 lifetime.

I'm a KDE user and eagerly looking forward to KDE 4 even knowing that it
won't necessarily be the smoothest transition. I haven't abandoned the
early and often release philosophy for Fedora...if I want stable, that's
what I get with RHEL.

Craig