F8 update kills KDE

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 20 22:18:56 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:

> I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings. Hopefully they've got
> thicker skin than that, I made an observation based on my experience.
> I felt then and now that the default KDE desktop looked and felt like
> a GNOME knock-off. It has also been my experience that most do assume
> that you have GNOME installed. I'll happily try KDE again when F9 hits
> final release, I hope to be proven wrong, I don't expect it will all
> work flawlessly, it is as many have said a major revision, but  KDE
> needs its own personality, I didn't feel that KDE distinguished itself
> from GNOME very well when i first tried it on Fedora 7. If i'm in the
> minority with that opinion, so be it. I appreciate all the hard work
> that goes into Fedora, hopefully nobody takes my comments to
> personally. No one is obliged to prove anything to anyone. I still
> think Fedora blows the doors off all the other Linux distributions,
> I've tried most of them.

You observation seems incorrect to me. Atleast from Fedora Core 5
onwards and even more from Fedora 7 onwards, KDE look and feel is pretty
much the same as upstream in Fedora.  So I have no idea what you mean by
a "knock-off".

Fedora 7 KDE

http://dot.kde.org/1180620522/

Fedora 7 GNOME

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=Fedora%207

Other than the wallpaper, everything else is different. Just for
comparison, Fedora 9 beta screenshots

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_9_kde&num=1

Rahul