F8 update kills KDE

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 22:45:38 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:
> 2008/4/20 David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com>:
>> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 20:23 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>>>

>>> I don't know if it's actually *possible* to install Fedora without
>>> Gnome, but I take your point.
>>>

>>  You can install Fedora and chose to not install the GNOME desktop. Since
>> GNOME is the default you have to actively chose *not* to install it. You
>> have to uncheck the box.
>>

>>> Fair enough. My original post was in answer to a question about whether
>>> KDE was a "second-class citizen" in Fedora, which is why I didn't
>>> mention other desktops, but of course the same comments apply to them as
>>> well.
>>>

>>  Fedora has a very active team that works on KDE. Calling KDE "a
>> "second-class citizen" in Fedora" would hurt their feeling I would think.
>> ;-)
>>
> I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings. Hopefully they've got
> thicker skin than that, I made an observation based on my experience.
> I felt then and now that the default KDE desktop looked and felt like
> a GNOME knock-off. It has also been my experience that most do assume
> that you have GNOME installed. I'll happily try KDE again when F9 hits
> final release, I hope to be proven wrong, I don't expect it will all
> work flawlessly, it is as many have said a major revision, but  KDE
> needs its own personality, I didn't feel that KDE distinguished itself
> from GNOME very well when i first tried it on Fedora 7. If i'm in the
> minority with that opinion, so be it. I appreciate all the hard work
> that goes into Fedora, hopefully nobody takes my comments to
> personally. No one is obliged to prove anything to anyone. I still
> think Fedora blows the doors off all the other Linux distributions,
> I've tried most of them.

Hi Max. You did see the smiley didn't you?

And I agree with your observation that Fedora is best. And I also think that
the 'KDE team(?)' is doing one heck of a job. What the heck *ALL* of the
Fedora people are doing a good job.

The upcoming Fedora 9 is fantastic.

I have yet to figure out just where the name 'Sulfur' came from but I like it.
I like it one heck of a lot more than 'Gutsy Gibbon' or 'Harry Heron'  ;-)  or
the other strange names that 'other' distribution names their releases.

--

   David